If there’s anything that screams Sunday brunch, you bet it’s going to be either waffles or pancakes. Personally, waffles have always been my favorite since I love the crispy little edges and the texture! Growing up, I actually was never a huge pancake or waffle kid – they always left me feeling sluggish which I think made me intuitively not love them as much as the next person.
Flash forward to now and waffles are something that I love again! I started making my breakfast treats with good ingredients that I know make me feel good and realized that waffles don’t need to leave me feeling tired and not energized. I always talk about how I love to recreate certain foods that used to never make me feel my best with nourishing ingredients, and this recipe is a perfect example. I am so excited to present these nourishing Fluffy Cacao Waffles!
In these waffles, I use almond flour as my base and add in cacao powder for the powerful chocolate flavor. I love using cacao in my recipes since it is a superfood that is filled with antioxidants. People often don’t believe me when I tell them how chocolate truly is healthy ;)!
A mixture of coconut oil and cashew milk help keep these waffles moist and not turn too crispy and dry. Unrefined coconut oil is what I love to use in this recipe as it lends a subtle coconutty flavor, but if you aren’t a huge coconut fan, feel free to use an alternative such as avocado oil or refined coconut oil.
I also love how the toppings for these waffles are seriously endless. My favorite toppings combos include berries and probiotic coconut yogurt, nut butter and green banana (I hate ripe bananas!), or even avocado and a manuka honey drizzle (don’t knock it ’till you try it!).
I am so excited for you guys to taste these delicious waffles! Tell me what your favorite waffle toppings are when you make them!
[makes 4 large waffles – about 1/2 cup batter per waffle]
- 3 organic pasture raised eggs, at room temp.
- 1/4 cup + 1 tb cashew milk (or any nut milk – hazelnut would be delicious in these!)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tb liquid coconut oil (measured in liquid form), plus more for greasing waffle iron
- 1 tb maple syrup (optional)
- 1 + 3/4 cups almond flour
- 3 tb cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, cashew milk, vanilla, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir until very well combined (the batter will be thick!).
- Heat waffle iron according to directions (I grease mine with coconut oil to prevent sticking).
- Add 1/2 cup of the batter to heated waffle iron and cook waffle accordingly to directions.
- Repeat with all of the batter and then enjoy the waffles!
- Optional: Add toppings! (But is this really optional?)
Lots of love, Worth