Alright, guys. By now, I am sure that you are all aware of my obsession with bananas. Yes, it’s true, I’m obsessed with something as simple as a piece of fruit, but to be honest, I wouldn’t want it any other way! Bananas are the bomb. They add the yummiest flavor to baked goods and it makes my mouth water just thinking about them!
In addition to my banana obsession, I definitely have a nut butter obsession too. Basically all of my recipes have either nut butter or some form of nuts in them, so yeah… I’d say I’m a little obsessed. Nuts and nut butter are one of my favorite ways to nourish my body with good, healthy fats as well as protein. Whether it’s in a baked good or a spoonful from the jar, I’ll never pass it up.
Since I always have bananas around the house, there always comes the time when I have brown, spotty ones. When that happens, that is when I always create a new banana recipe – haha! Plus, I literally have a stockpile of nut butter at my house so what better to put my two faves together (I do this in a lot of recipes if you haven’t noticed ;).
Now, these cookies are the bomb (hence the name “Banana Bombs”). Guys, I don’t even know how to explain how delicious these are. They explode with banana flavor; this mixed with the nutty essence from the nut butter and almond flour makes them taste out of this world. I would describe these as a pillow-y texture, almost like banana bread but in the shape of a cookie!
My favorite way to enjoy these is actually straight from the fridge (strange, I know!). Dip them into a glass of unsweetened almond milk if you’re really feelin’ extra (you’ll thank me later). I can’t wait for you guys to enjoy these cookies just as much as I do.
[makes 13 cookies]
- 2 small/medium, very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1/2 cup)*
- 1 flax egg (1 tb flax meal mixed with 2 + 1/2 tb water)
- 1/3 nut butter (I use Georgia Grinders cinnamon vanilla pecan peanut butter – SO GOOD!)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp pink salt (a pinch)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tb coconut flour
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- Optional: dairy-free chocolate chunks/chips (I use Hu Kitchen crunchy banana dark chocolate)
* The banans really need to be ripe for this recipe for both sweetness and the banana flavor. If you don’t have super ripe bananas on hand, check out this article on how to ripen your bananas in just 20 minutes – so cool!
- Preheat oven to 350º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add in the flax egg, nut butter, and vanilla and stir until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the pink salt, baking soda, almond flour, coconut flour, and cinnamon.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until very well combined.
- Form dough into 13 evenly sized cookies. Wet hands with water (to prevent sticking) and press down and flatten with the palm of your hand (they won’t spread).
- Optional (but is chocolate really optional?): Sprinkle the top of the cookies with chocolate chunks.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes (the cookies will still feel soft as they have more of a pillow-y texture). Let cool and devour!
Lots of love, Worth